Are you thinking of starting a business but are clueless about which sector to start your business in? How about starting your own goat farming business? It is a highly lucrative business idea from the financial point of view. For someone who wishes to start his or her business, it is a great opportunity as a goat farm does not require high investments or funding. Granted that it is not an easy task to start your own goat farm and maintain it, but it is one business that will always keep you on your toes and also earn you great profits. There is a great market for goat related products and that is what makes this business such a lucrative one. All you need is a seamless business plan and you will be good to go. In this article, you will learn about various important factors to consider before starting goat farming business in India.
- To start your goat farm, you need to take into account the fact that you will be rearing animals and domesticating them for your profit. You will therefore need to be totally hands on while managing your animals. There is also the issue of permissions as trading with live animals requires you to acquire specific permissions. The first step would be to take care of those legalities and formalities.
- Next, you should have a proper shed for your goats. The better their lodging, the easier it will be to take care of them. This will ensure that your profits in business remain high. A separate housing area for your goats will also make it easier for you to keep tabs on your animals and prevent any diseases.
- Goats are herbivores, primarily ruminants. Thus, you would also be required to arrange for their grazing. Thus, you need to locate your farm in an area where it easy for your goats to graze. If free grazing is not possible, then you need to arrange for their fodder. This is another investment aspect that you need to chart out in your business plan when you make one. They would also require a constant supply of clean water so that they never go thirsty. Create contacts among veterinary doctors so that you can easily handle any health related issues among your pets.
Select Goat Breed Based On Market Demand
Goats are a source of many products in the market and that is what makes rearing them a highly profitable business. However, every aspect requires a different variety of goats or some special rearing requirements. Thus, if you plan to start out on a small-scale basis, then decide on the market that you wish to cater to. If your business plans are large-scale, then you can cater to multiple markets. Goats are used for their meat and the consumption market forms a major share of the customer base for goat farming businesses. Goat milk is also used as a source for producing dairy products, primarily cheese. Manure is another major produce that can earn you profit in your business. Goat hide, skin and fiber are the other elements that are put to use in the wool industry and the tanneries.
Various Goat Breeds In India
There are many goat breed found in India, before starting your own farm, you must decide that which breed is most profitable for your. Some goat breed needs special care and fodder plan is also different for them. Below are some of the most popular breeds in India:-
- Sirohi Goat – Origin of Sirohi goat is Rajasthan and this is mainly reared for meat production.
- Beetal Goat – Found in Punjab and is mainly reared for milk production
- Jamunapari Goat – Found in Uttar Pradesh and is reared for milk and meat production. It is also know as dairy goat because of high milk yielding capacity than any other breed.
- Osmanabadi Goat – Found in Maharastra and is reared for both milk and meat production.
- Barbari Goat – Origin of this goat is East Africa but in India it is found in UP and Punjab. This is beautiful looking goat and generally reared for meat production.
Tips On Selection Of Location For Goat Farming In India
- Select a location with enough grazing area, this is lower the cost of fodder.
- Location should be easily accessible to local market where you will sell your goats for profit.
- Water supply should be adequate.
- If your location is extreme cold then make sure that you use proper methods for warming up the shed and vice versa.
- Use proper fencing for protection from being theft.
- Proper shed facing sunlight and a sick room is essential for sick goats.
Rearing goats can be a challenge and a lot of hard work. Thus, be sure to start your business only when you are sure of taking up the responsibilities. It is a great option for animal lovers or people who are looking for a bit of a challenge in the work that they do. Also, make sure that there is a demand for your business in your locality. This would ensure sure-shot profits and a smooth execution of your plans.